Appropriate Interaction between Men and Women
There are numerous Biblical and rabbinic injunctions restricting the interactions between men and women in order to preserve appropriate conduct and the dignity of everyone. touching, staring inappropriately, speaking together inappropriately, listening to her voice, or even thinking about women inappropriately.
- Inappropriate Touching of the Opposite Gender - Negiah
- Inappropriate Staring at the Opposite Gender - Histaklut
- Inappropriate Speech - Nivul Peh
- Listening to Women Sing - Kol Isha
- Inappropriate thoughts about the Opposite Gender - Hirhur
- A man may not ask a woman to make his bed in front of him, pour his cup of wine, or wash his hands or feet because these lead one to think inappropriately about women (Hirhur).
- If it forbidden for a man to interact inappropriately with a woman who is forbidden to himself, even just signaling or winking at her inappropriately is forbidden.
- A boy having a girl friend that isn't for the purpose of getting married is forbidden for many reasons.
- Gemara Kiddushin 70a, Rambam (Isurei Biyah 21:5), Shulchan Aruch EH 21:5. See the Rama EH 21:5 who writes that there is a lenient practice to allow it in a public place if that if the common practice, however, the Bach 21 s.v. VeAsur vehemently opposes.
- Shulchan Aruch EH 21:1
- Igrot Moshe EH 4:60