Revision as of 11:21, 19 June 2014 by YitzchakSultan (Created page with "There is a negative mitzvah not to add onto the mitzvot of the Torah as it says in the pasuk "אֵת כָּל־הַדָּבָר אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי מְצַוֶּ...")
There is a negative mitzvah not to add onto the mitzvot of the Torah as it says in the pasuk "אֵת כָּל־הַדָּבָר אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי מְצַוֶּה אֶתְכֶם אֹתוֹ תִשְׁמְרוּ לַעֲשׂוֹת לֹא־תֹסֵף עָלָיו וְלֹא תִגְרַע מִמֶּנּוּ". 
Nature of the Prohibition
- Some say that the prohibition means that one may not permanently establish a new mitzvah.
- Some say that the prohibition includes fulfilling a mitzvah in an expanded or enlarged manner.
- Devarim 13:1, Rambam (Sefer HaMtizvot Lavin n. 313), Sefer HaChinuch 454
- Ramban Devarim 4:2, Rambam (Mamrim 2:9)
- See examples below and Encyclopedia Talmudit "Bal Tosif"
- Sifrei Devarim 13:1
- Rosh Hashana 28b