How to Make New Page
Revision as of 13:54, 19 September 2010 by HachamD
Wiki coding is relatively simple to learn and use, but it's not always so intuitive, and so it would be a good idea to first read some very brief help guides before adding content.
Step 1: Create a New Page
- Unlike most websites whereby you create a new page and subsequently connect the new page to the main site via a link, in a wiki you first have to create the link and then the page. When you create the link, it will be to a blank page. Then when you click on this blank page, it will give you the option of adding content to it so that it’s no longer blank.
- Therefore, the first thing to do is decide where your halachik article would belong within our topical categories as displayed on the left sidebar.
- For instance, “The Laws of Shema” would fall within the “Prayer” category.
- Next, you need to create the link. To do this, click the edit tab towards the top of the page. From here you’ll see a large editable text box with all sorts of strange looking coding symbols. Find where you should add you link and surround the title with double brakets
- For instance [[Laws of Shema]] = Laws of Shema
- A red link means that it's an empty page, which you can then click on and add content
Step 2: Adding Content
- To make a simple page, there are really only a few codes you should know
- Subtopics have == before and after ==
- Bullet points use the asterik sign *
- Numbers use the pound sign #
- References require two things:
- Each individual reference needs <ref> before and </ref> afterwards
- And, at the very bottom of the page, you must include: ==Notes== <references/>