Kohanim Not Becoming Tameh
Blocking Tumah of Corpse
- If there is a corpse in a room the tumah extends from room to room if there is an opening of a Tefach by a Tefach. If there is an opening of a Tefach square and it is completely closed off tumah doesn't extend beyond. However, if it is only partially closed off and the hole is less than a Tefach if the closing is permanent the tumah doesn't extend but if it is temporary it isn't a sufficient blockage and tumah expends.
- A closed door is considered a permanent blockage of tumah.
- Only items that aren't mekabel tumah are able to block tumah. Anything attached to the ground isn't mekabel tumah for these purposes.
- Shulchan Aruch YD 371:1
- Neeyim Zemirot p. 49 writes that a door can be a stimah olamit but if it is metal there's room to be machmir since it is mekabel tumah. Avnei Nezer OC 293:7 holds that a door is a stimah forever but struggles to prove this. Taharat Hakohanim 371:14 quotes the Avnei Nezer as primary.
- Rama YD 371:1
- Taharat Kohanim 371:19 quoting Kehilat Yakov Taharot 25