Revision as of 22:22, 22 August 2011 by ChachamY (Created page with '==Non-produce== # The Bracha on meat, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, and cheese is Shehakol as it is not a product of a plant. <Ref>Gemara Brachot 40b, S"A 204:1 </ref> ==Drinks== #…')
- The Bracha on meat, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, and cheese is Shehakol as it is not a product of a plant. 
- The Bracha on fruit juices are Shehakol. 
- The Beracha on soda is Shehakol. 
- The Bracha on beer is Shehakol. 
- The Bracha for most candies is Shehakol because of the sugar unless there is a majority ingredient of a fruit or nut. 
When does water require a bracha?
- One only makes a Shehakol before drinking water and Boreh Nefashot after drinking if one drinks to quench one's thirst or assist digestion. 
- However if one drinks water for any other reason such as
- If one drinks any other beverage which provides taste or nutrition one makes a bracha whether or not one is thirsty. 
- If one drinks water in order to swallow a pill and to quench one's thirst, one must make a bracha. 
- If one gets a slight benefit from the water then it's considered like one drank to quench one's thirst. 
- Gemara Brachot 40b, S"A 204:1
- S"A 202:8
- Halachos of Brachos (Rabbi Bodner, chap 24, pg 451) writes that soda or other flavored beverages are different than water which only requires a bracha is one is thirsty rather in all cases these flavored beverages are Shehakol.
- S"A 204:1
- S"A 202:15 rules that sugar is Shehakol. Therefore, Halachos of Brachos (Rabbi Bodner, chap 25, pg 455) writes that on candy the bracha is Shehakol unless there is a majority ingredient of a fruit or nut.
- S"A 204:7 writes only if one drinks water for one's thirst does one make a bracha. The source is found in Gemara Brachot 44a and Rambam (Brachot 8:1). Buir Halacha 204:7 D"H HaShoteh writes that drinking water in order to assist digestion is equivlant to dirnking for thirst. The Bracha Achrona on water also depnds on whether one is thirsty or not as rules the S"A 204:7 (see Sh"t Shevet HaLevi 9:42 who writes that the Ashel Avraham who writes that one always makes a Bracha Achrona is error.)
- Mishna Brurah 204:40 and Biur Halacha 204:7 D"h HaShoteh
- Sdei Chemed vol 5 pg 260 (quoted by The laws of Brachot by Rabbi Binyamin Forst pg 135)
- S"A 204:7 and Mishna Brurah 204:40
- Mishna Brurah 204:42
- Mishna Brurah 204:42 writes that even if there's a slight thirst one makes a bracha. Accordingly, The laws of Brachot (by Rabbi Binyamin Forst pg 135) writes that drinking water to swallow a pill and to quench one's thirst requires a bracha.
- Mishna Brurah 204:42