Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 01:58, 17 March 2013 by YitzchakSultan (Text replace - "==References==" to "==Sources==")
- Separating the chaff from the grain using the force of wind is the Melacha of Zoreah (winnowing).  This Melacha also includes separating any undesired matter from a food by use of wind. 
- Separating undesired matter from food by use of artifical wind is also Zoreah. Thus, one may not blow on a mixture of peanuts and their thin outer shells to remove the shells. 
Applications using the wind
- One should not blow against the wind causing the saliva to become mist. 
- One should not shake crumbs out of a tablecloth against the wind.
- One should not leave musty garments or books in the wind to air them out.
Applications of sprays
- The use of aerosol cans is not in violation of Zoreh, however, one may one spray perfume or deodorant on one's body and not one's clothes.
- One may use the spray attachment to a sink faucet on Shabbat and it is not a violation of Zoreh. (Because of Bishul one may only use cold water). 
- One may add cold water to a water vaporizer (which is already running from before Shabbat).
- 39 Melachos (Rabbi Ribiat, vol 2, pg 373) quoting Rabbenu Chananel Shabbat 74a and Rashi 73a D"H Zoreah and 73b D"H Haynu.
- 39 Melachos (Rabbi Ribiat, vol 2, pg 374) quoting Iglei Tal Zoreah 4
- 39 Melachos (Rabbi Ribiat, vol 2, pg 374)
- Rama 319:17, 39 Melachos (vol 2, pg 375)
- 39 Melachos (vol 2, pg 376)
- 39 Melachos (vol 2, pg 376-7)
- 39 Melachos (vol 2, pg 377) quoting Hilchos Shabbos (Rabbi Eider) who quotes Rav Moshe, Sh"t Minchat Yitzchak 6:26, Chazon Ovadyah (vol 4, pg 242), Sh"t Yabea Omer 3:20
- 39 Melachos (vol 2, pg 378)
- 39 Melachos (vol 2, pg 378-9). Chazon Ovadyah (vol 4, pg 247) writes it is permitted if there's a need.