This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
- The seventh day of Sukkot is also called Hoshana Rabba. On Hashana Rabba, it is the custom of many communities to say extra Hoshanot (prayer said while holding the lulav and etrog) and to circle the Bimah seven times. 
- The custom is to take out seven Sifrei Torah on Hoshana Rabba or all of the sifrei torah and they are placed on the Bimah.
- The Sephardic minhag is not to say that the 13 middot of rachamim in the Hoshanot.
- It’s the Sephardic minhag to say Hashem Hu HaElokim prior to Hashem Melech in Shacharit and to add Shir HaMaalot after Yishtabach. 
Learning on Hoshana Rabba Night
- It’s the practice of Israel to learn on the night of Hoshana Rabba and some stay up all night.  It’s proper to read the Seder Leil Hoshana Rabba (printed in some machzorim) which includes reading Sefer Devarim, Midrash Rabba on Vezot HaBracha, and then Tehillim. 
- Regarding the Brachot in the morning for someone who stayed up all night, see Shavuot#Shavuot_morning. According to Sephardim, one can make all of the brachot besides Netilat Yadayim. 
- During the day of Hoshana Rabbah, one should read Parashat Vizot Haberacha shnayim mikra viechad targum. 
Untying the Lulav
- It’s not our practice to untie the lulav on Hoshana Rabba. 
- However, if one wants to untie the egged around the lulav one should only untie it after one fulfilled the mitzvah already. 
Eating after the Ninth Hour
- One shouldn't have a (bread) meal after the ninth hour (in halachic hours) in the day just like every Erev Yom Tov. See Kavod and Oneg Yom Tov and Not eating on Erev Shabbat. 
Beating the Aravot
See the Beating the Aravot page.
- Shulchan Aruch OC 664:1, Mishna Brurah 664:10, Chazon Ovadyah (Sukkot pg 438). Sefer Tashbetz 156 says the reason for this is just like we did when capturing yericho until the walls fell
- Rama 660:1
- Chazon Ovadia (Sukkot p. 437)
- Chazon Ovadyah (Sukkot pg 438)
- Shibbolei Haleket 371. Shaar Hakavanot 103D says this minhag is because our judgment is sealed on that night (see Nitei Gavriel Sukkot 75:3). Sefer Taamei Haminhagim pg. 356 says that this practice is because it is the night of Ushpizin for David Hamelech who stayed up all night singing praises to Hashem.
- Mishna Brurah 664:1, Chazon Ovadyah (Sukkot pg 438)
- Chazon Ovadyah (Sukkot pg 438). He adds that Brachot Hatorah may only be said after Olot Hashachar.
- Birkei Yosef 285:4, Yalkut Yosef Moadim pg. 184, Chazon Ovadia Sukkot pg. 450
- Even though Shulchan Aruch OC 664:1 writes that it’s the minhag to untie the egged on the lulav on Hoshana Rabba, Chazon Ovadyah (Sukkot pg 439-440) writes that it’s not our minhag to untie the lulav at all.
- Chazon Ovadyah (Sukkot pg 440)
- Mishna Brurah 668:1, Kaf HaChaim 668:1