This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
- Sterilizing a man or animal is Biblically forbidden.  Sterilizing a woman is also forbidden.
- Using a medicine to sterilize a man or animal is forbidden.
- Vayikra 22:24, S”A EH 5:11
- Rambam Isurei Biyah 16:11, Shulchan Aruch EH 5:11. Gra EH 5:25 implies it is biblical without malkot. Perisha 5:30 explains that the reason it is forbidden to sterilize women is because they won’t be able to populate the world (lo tohu l’shevet yetzara) which also applies to women.
- Gemara Shabbat 110b, Shulchan Aruch EH 5:12